- Sometimes, servers are overloaded causing browsing sites hosted on them very slow or server time outs.
- Problems may occur with sites bigger than 450MB.
BlueHost hosting seems to be somewhat hit and miss. Some customers have found that BlueHost is a bit slow and often returns 404 and 500 server error messages for no reason. These can brake MainWP backup / clone functionality.
PHP memory limit is 128MB at MOST. This can be considered as low. Some other hosts provide 256MB which is double.
Bluehost requires your username as a prefix for database name (and user), so to be of the form username_databasename.
Sometimes MainWP can time out during a backup / clone process, to resolve this we recommend editing your php.ini file to change max execution time to 600.
These are the limits on how long a process can run before being killed off and are based on whether the customer has a dedicated IP address or uses the shared one.
- Apache/Web (HTML/PHP/Downloads): With Dedicated IP: 12 Hours | Without: 10 Minutes (up from 5 minutes)
- SSH/Shell: With Dedicated IP: 2 Hours | Without: 1 Hour
- Cron Jobs: With Dedicated IP: 30 Minutes | Without: 30 Minutes
- Deamons: With Dedicated IP: Unlimited | Without: 10 Minutes
- No cPanel.
- Reports that cURL does not come pre-installed on droplets so you will need to install it in order to connect a Child site
- HTTP Loopbacks are not allowed (PHP connects back to site via curl to Site URL).
- “Unlimited” is not truly unlimited. Storing backups in your account is PROHIBITED by unlimited plans terms of service.
- Resource related:
- Extremely slow zip generation.
- Problems may occur with sites above 22mb (limit can be increased with zip compression turned off) due to slow processing.
- Possible workaround: Extend php timeout in php.ini file to increase MainWP run-time.
- Uses custom control panel (No cPanel).
- Configuration related:
- No native command-line zip.
- Procwatch automatically kills off MainWP if it uses too many resources while creating a backup or clone.
- You need to verify your mysql server as it may not be the common default localhost (important for cloning and migrating process).
- Custom control panel (No cPanel). Some changes take up to hours to take effect.
- On some servers slow site load time can occur.
- Some servers overloaded not leaving processing power for backups or clones.
- System kills any PHP process working too long or too hard (ie backup / clone process).
- Command-line zip available for best MainWP experience.
- Max PHP runtime limit is 30 seconds for shared hosting.
Current limits of reseller and shared hosting (9/20/2011):
- safe mode = Off (cannot adjust)
- memory_limit = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- max_execution_time = 30 (MAXIMUM)
- max_input_time = 60 (MAXIMUM)
- post_max_size = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- upload_max_filesize = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- enable_dl = Off (cannot adjust)
- Does not allow loopback connections so your Dashboard and Child need to be on separate servers
- Dev team tested and No issues reported
- Minimal issues.
- Linux command line zip is not supported.
- Minimal issues.
- Command line ZIP is blocked by this host.
- Reports of them automatically quarantining plugin files causing major issues. Can be resolved by contacting their support and asking them to remove the quarantine.
- Failing path/directory detection may occur due to symlink issues. (Prevents backups and cloning)
- We cannot accurately report the status for Cloudsites hosting.
- It’s recommended to add the following to your .htaccess
12#Fix the cURL timeoutphp_value default_socket_timeout 6000
- Blocked command line zip via PHP exec().
- Downloading of backup files via web is disabled for enhanced security purposes. This will also affect cloning
- UpdraftPlus plugin not working properly so the MainWP UpdrafPlus extension may have issues with this hosting